We went to Huambo, which I think is the second largest city in the country, with people from work and stayed for almost a week. It was like stepping into a different world. The climate is much more comfortable than here in the capital, the city is well organized and very clean and most importantly, there are no traffic jams. I let my urbie nerd out and took loads of pictures of beautiful public parks, water fountains, garbage cans and containers and to my amazement I found one bike rack, although there seem to be almost as few bikes there as here in the capital. Huambo was the centre of major conflict for a while during the war and many of the buildings still have holes in the walls after the gun shots and some houses were even bombed. We got some very nice pictures of duplexes with one side covered in bullet holes and the other newly renovated where all traces of the war have been erased.
It was very relaxing to get away from all the stress for a little while, although I managed to get a bout of malaria towards the end of the trip. Fortunately, I went to see the doctor as soon as I got fever, so I got over it pretty fast after I started taking the medication.
We still try to go to the beach whenever we can. Once we met a group of Chinese guys (there’s a lot of them here) and one of them asked to take a picture of him with Petur. I turned away and tried to avoid laughing while a rather embarrassed Petur had his picture taken with his very happy friend. Later, when Petur had left me alone to sun-bathe while he ran along the beach with his fishing rod like a maniac, the same guy came back and asked if he could take a picture of me. I was wearing a bikini and not exactly in the mood to have my picture taken, so I refused. When he insisted, I only got more stubborn, but he still kept on insisting. Finally, I stood up very frustrated and ran into the sea. He followed, but stopped once he couldn’t reach the bottom anymore and finally left when I started swearing in Icelandic, obviously very pissed off. Afterward I thought it was very funny. Maybe I should just give in and get it over with if it ever happens again. What does it matter if a Chinese guy has a picture of me wearing a bikini? ;-).
Finally, here is a beautiful proverb that was printed on a gift wrapping paper that our friend bought for us. It makes me smile ;-).
May the day of youris is like a flower; full fo sweetss, beaut and happiness.
It was very relaxing to get away from all the stress for a little while, although I managed to get a bout of malaria towards the end of the trip. Fortunately, I went to see the doctor as soon as I got fever, so I got over it pretty fast after I started taking the medication.
We still try to go to the beach whenever we can. Once we met a group of Chinese guys (there’s a lot of them here) and one of them asked to take a picture of him with Petur. I turned away and tried to avoid laughing while a rather embarrassed Petur had his picture taken with his very happy friend. Later, when Petur had left me alone to sun-bathe while he ran along the beach with his fishing rod like a maniac, the same guy came back and asked if he could take a picture of me. I was wearing a bikini and not exactly in the mood to have my picture taken, so I refused. When he insisted, I only got more stubborn, but he still kept on insisting. Finally, I stood up very frustrated and ran into the sea. He followed, but stopped once he couldn’t reach the bottom anymore and finally left when I started swearing in Icelandic, obviously very pissed off. Afterward I thought it was very funny. Maybe I should just give in and get it over with if it ever happens again. What does it matter if a Chinese guy has a picture of me wearing a bikini? ;-).
Finally, here is a beautiful proverb that was printed on a gift wrapping paper that our friend bought for us. It makes me smile ;-).
May the day of youris is like a flower; full fo sweetss, beaut and happiness.

3 Comments:
Hahaha, brjálaður Kínverji á ströndinni, Dóra, þú hefðir nú átt að pósa fyrir hann svo hann hefði eitthvað djúsí til að sýna vinum sínum ;)
Hvernig verða jólin annars hjá ykkur, varla fáið þið hamborgarahrygg og meððí?!
Knús, Gunnþóra
Gleðilegt ár!!!
Knús, Gunnþóra
wow! these Chinese people are becoming more obsessed with photos than us Westerners. I definitely recognize the attitude you are talking about, when I was in Beijng a group of construction workers took pictures of me walking in the street. They did not ask, but I was far less sexy than you!
Skrifa ummæli
<< Home