I´m a terrible blogger, but I partly blame it on the internet connection, which isn't so great. I also always forget what I wanted to write about. Things that have become so normal that I don't see them anymore. For example all the albinos. I remember the first time I came to Africa, how surprised I was to see all those terribly sunburnt and yellow haired albinos. We see at least one everyday on our way to work. I've been thinking about importing truck-loads of sun block and hand them out to them. Petur thinks that there are just as many albinos in Iceland, but that we just can't distinguish them from all the other fair people. I'm not so sure that I believe this theory ;-).
People here don't think we're albinos though, but in the villages many obviously think we're Chinese and I've been asked to speak Chinese on more than one occasion. Of course I did my best: ni hau ma! Bing Dao (Iceland) etc... However, I was a bit offended when one woman asked if I were Petur's mom! I've often heard that I could be his older sister, but this was too much. Afterward Petur tried to calm me by saying that people probably think I'm his mom because I always drive the car. I'm getting pretty good at driving here, but the traffic and the road conditions are a joke. The only way to survive is to relax and laugh at the ridiculousness of it all.
I think I had one funny story to tell, but I can't remember it. Maybe next time.
Tomorrow we'll go one more time to one of the beautiful beaches south of the city and I'll try to post some pictures after that. I don't promise anything though, because I'm having major problems with the internet connection.
Over and out,
D
People here don't think we're albinos though, but in the villages many obviously think we're Chinese and I've been asked to speak Chinese on more than one occasion. Of course I did my best: ni hau ma! Bing Dao (Iceland) etc... However, I was a bit offended when one woman asked if I were Petur's mom! I've often heard that I could be his older sister, but this was too much. Afterward Petur tried to calm me by saying that people probably think I'm his mom because I always drive the car. I'm getting pretty good at driving here, but the traffic and the road conditions are a joke. The only way to survive is to relax and laugh at the ridiculousness of it all.
I think I had one funny story to tell, but I can't remember it. Maybe next time.
Tomorrow we'll go one more time to one of the beautiful beaches south of the city and I'll try to post some pictures after that. I don't promise anything though, because I'm having major problems with the internet connection.
Over and out,
D

6 Comments:
Hi Dora!
I hope skildu eftir athugasemd means 'comment'... It's funny the blogs appears on my pc in mixed languages!
Anyway, I was reading through your posts and they are beautifully written and really give a sense of what is going on for you two there. Thanks for sharing.
When you write about the albinos in Angola you remind me of something. I did see quite a few albinos in Mali and one of them in particular I saw inside a local people's house. It really looked like they were hiding her, as it was something to be ashamed of. Later on I heard of the stigma attached to the fact of being albino in Mali (and not only there). I think is interpreted as a sign of bad luck or even of a curse by malign spirits.
This is why a famous Malian musician, Salif Keita, an albino himself, is fighting a battle against this prejudice.
Everything is fine for Serge and me here in Montreal. The news of the day is that the city is now on Google Street View. So if you miss some grey stone, boxy houses and wide empty streets, it could be a good pastime :)
All the best to you and Peter
Silvia
Ahahahaha, mamma Péturs! Sá var góður! Annars er þetta frábært blogg, rosalega áhugaverðir pistlar, maður fær góða innsýn í afríska lífið ykkar! Hlakka til að lesa meira! Knús, Gunnþóra
Hey Silvia, very interesting about the albinos in Mali. I heard recently that albinos are being killed in another African country (I can´t remember which one, maybe Tanzania?) because the white skin is supposed to bring good luck and prosperity. Very scary!
Takktakk Gunnþóra!
Hæ gaman að allt er gott að frétta, en mig er farið að langar alveg svakalega að sjá myndir:) Mundu bara að minnka myndirnar niður í 72 punkta þá ætti að vera betra að setja þær inn:)
Knús
Hulda
Dóra, þú ert æði, gaman að lesa þig :-) Bið kærlega að heilsa "syninum", vona að þið hafið það súper gott!
P.S. Já það var í Tansaníu sem albínóar voru ofsóttir, líkamspartar þeirra víst mjög eftirsóttir í töfraseyði. Rámar eitthvað í frétt um að stjórnvöld þar væru að taka á þessu, hvernig það gengur er svo annað mál...
Dóra þetta er flott blogg. Gaman að fá að fylgjast með lífi ykkar.
Skrifa ummæli
<< Home