Short stories
One day when we were stuck in a traffic jam on our way to the office, we heard sirens behind us. However, we did not see an ambulance or a police-car. No, the car making the noise turned out to be a black Volvo which means that it belongs to a minister or vice-minister. Since then we have seen a few of these with the sirens on. The sirens don’t seem to be helping much though because it is almost impossible for people to move their cars in the traffic jam. I personally would be worried about getting deaf if I were one of those ministers stuck in a traffic jam with sirens ringing in my ears. I imagine that if elected officials would use similar tactics in Montreal or Reykjavik people would do their best to be in their way and slow them down.
We often see little kids carrying colourful plastic chairs on their heads. Apparently these kids take a chair with them to school because there are no chairs at some of the schools. This was also done during Petur’s childhood years here although then kids would use empty cans of Nido powdered milk to sit on.
We were walking on the street the other day when a young guy says: “You’re handsome!” Petur looks at him kind of awkwardly, points at himself and asks if he’s talking to him. The guy nods his head and does a “fixe” (thumbs up) sign, and Petur (a bit embarrassed) thanks him for the compliment. I thought it was funny.
The Portuguese is up and down for me. I can read ok and I mostly understand the news on the radio, but I find it very difficult to talk, although I try. I guess I have to try harder. Fortunately, I find it easiest to understand the people here. When I hear people from Portugal speak or watch Brazilian soap-operas I barely understand a word of what they’re saying.
Tonight we’re going to a party in the city centre with some people from the office and will sleep at one of our friend’s house tonight because it will be too late to drive to “our place.” I’m looking forward to socializing a bit. There will probably be some more socializing this weekend because we plan to go to Petur’s village this weekend to meet some more of his childhood friends.
Have a great weekend!
4 Comments:
Hæ hæ elsku Dóra og Pési:)
Er ekkert smá glöð að þið séuð aftur byrjuð að blogga. Ótrúlega gaman að fylgjast með ykkur.
Hlakka til að heyra meira frá ykkur. Njótið helgarinnar í botn.
Knús frá klakanum
Anna Lilja.
P.s.
Hló mikið af sögunni um gaurinn sem var að hrósa Pésa fyrir að vera myndarlegur. Ekki slæmt að fá svona comment úti á miðri götu:)
Bíddu, skilurðu portúgölsku eftir að hafa verið þarna í korter? Ég er verulega imponeruð :D
Respect fyrir að vera strax farin að skilja og tala portúgölsku, þú ert séní Dóra! Gott að heyra að Pétur eigi alltaf séns...hvað með þig Dóra, er ekkert verið að flauta á eftir þér...?!
P.s. Knús, Gunnþóra
Skrifa ummæli
<< Home